We serve in our local community through regular hands-on volunteer opportunities and our support of social service and nonprofit agencies. Two of our in-house ministries that we devote a lot of resources and people power to are our monthly outreach to wounded and recovering men and women at Walter Reed called Loaves and Fishes and our Welcome Home Ministry which helps to move unhoused neighbors into permanent, supportive homes.
Beyond that we have several ongoing partners in the community with whom we are regularly engaged:
Interfaith Works is an interfaith organization of 125 congregations which provides clothing, food, shelter, mentoring, and support of more than 30,000 men, women and children here in Montgomery County. Some of Interfaith Works services include:
- Community emergency support
- Clothing centers
- Homeless shelters
- Support for low-income entrepreneurs
- Education and advocacy for foster care children and low-income families to develop self-reliance and independence
- Eviction Prevention
- Meal Program
- Shower Program (weekly at BUMC and other local congregations)
- Clothing Center
- Prescription Assistance
We also keep ourselves aware and informed about needs in our community and seek new opportunities in mission by having special events and occasional seminars. Some examples:
Our Alternative Gifts for Christmas project provides an alternative method for people to send Christmas cards to friends and relatives and give financial gifts to organizations that serve people in need.
Other local ministries which BUMC supports with time, talents and financial support are:
- Bethesda Help
- Martha's Table - Every 1st Sunday is "Sandwich Sunday" and we send hundreds of sandwiches made by members of our congregation to this on-the-street hunger relief program in D.C.
- Bread for the City
- Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County
- Capital Area Food Bank
- A Wider Circle (Donate furniture and household goods to this Silver Spring non-profit for women and children transitioning out of shelters into their own homes -- they also can arrange for pick-ups)
For more information about our outreach ministries please call the Church office at 301.652.2990.