Our Sunday School classes for children follow an age-specific curriculum focused on exploring the Bible through stories, games, music, creative activities and sharing conversation. Classes meet from 10:00 to 10:45 a.m. each Sunday morning during the school year and are taught by a dedicated team of volunteers from our church. All volunteers and staff who work with children at BUMC are screened in accordance with to the United Methodist Church Safe Sanctuaries policy.
Sunday School Classrooms
Preschool: Room 104 (main level)
Kindergarten & 1st Grade: Room 105 (main level)
2nd & 3rd Grade: Room 208 (upper level)
4th, 5th & 6th Grade: Middle School Room (lower level)
Nursery care for infants and toddlers is available on Sunday mornings beginning at 8:45 a.m. We also offer nursery care for select other special events such as Christmas Eve worship and New Members classes. The nursery is located on the main level of the education wing (immediately to the left as you enter the building from the parking lot adjacent to Greenwich Park) and is staffed by two regular caregivers, Natalie Dabrowska and Bobby Ahmed. Parents are invited to leave their cellphone number with Natalie and Bobby so they can be reached in case of an emergency.
Kids With Purpose (KWP)
Children ages 3-8 have the opportunity to participate in Kids with Purpose during the morning worship services. Through hands-on projects, this Bible-based program aims to make mission and service to others an everyday and lifelong activity. Children who would like to participate sit with their families at the beginning of worship and head out to KWP after the Children's Message. Past projects have included:
• making Christmas boxes to be sent to children around the world through Operation Christmas Child;
• collecting toiletry items for BUMC's shower ministry program which serves homeless individuals;
• making cards and other crafts for homebound members;
• fixing sandwiches for distribution to the hungry and homeless in DC by McKenna's Wagon; and
• learning about ways to help people in other countries and raising funds for specific gifts for people in those countries through Heifer International.
The program is run by a team of volunteers.